As I pondered this dilemma, I noticed a man standing outside of his workshop on the highway. At first I just waved, but his response was so genial that I figured he might actually be willing to help. I dashed across the highway and introduced myself, then pointed out a hill in the distance and said that I wanted to go to the little town at its foot. He looked at me quizzically, and asked, "What are you looking for?" Naturally I had to explain my assignment and where I was from, and when I told him I was from Utah he asked, "With all the Mormons?" I had to chuckle a bit, and told him that I was indeed a Mormon. "So am I!" he replied, and then excused himself rather suddenly and took off into his shop. A moment later he returned, carrying a little slip of white and tan paper. "That's the recommendation to get into the temple, isn't it?" Well, I ask you, what are the odds of meeting a card-carrying Mormon on a country highway in the middle of nowhere? So cool. We talked about the church for a few minutes, then about my visit to Puebla, and finally settled on a nearby town that I could get to fairly quickly. He pointed out the little bus (combi) that would take me there, and off I zoomed to Santa María Acuexcomac! My only regret is that I failed to get a picture with dear Umbaldo, my new member friend.
The bus dropped me off in the middle of the town, and from there I was on my own. I explored for a bit, and was astonished at how much it reminded me of Mattawa, my first area on the mission. Mattawa, a small town in the middle of Washington state, is 95% Mexican, almost every one of them immigrants from small farm towns in Mexico come to work the agriculture there. The houses, the markets, the people, the cars, the dogs, it was eerily similar. The biggest difference was the beautiful Catholic church and the predomination of stone, brick, and mortar houses instead of trailers. However, after a few minutes of exploring, I decided that it would be more useful to proceed out of the city and into the country in order to find some farms and good people to interview. I spotted a nearby hill, just out of town, and decided to climb it, get my bearings, and eat the small lunch I'd packed. When I reached the top, I saw this:
It was rather breathtaking. In the distance is the city of Puebla, though you can hardly see it because of the smog from the city and the volcano behind me. Just to the right is the little town of Santa María that I came through, situated on another hill.
Finally I had to get down to work. It was sprinkling a bit (it rains almost every day this time of year), so I jogged down the hill and spotted the following:
| Make sure that your livestock stay close together... :) |
| A real horse-drawn cart with rubber wheels! I was trying not to show too much excitement when I took this picture. :) |
| A cactus farm. The plant is called a nopal, and is quite popular for human consumption. So far I have managed to avoid it. |
Finally, after about half an hour of wandering the countryside, I spotted my suspect -- a short woman, middle-aged, hunched over some sewing outside of her house. She had a walker and a wheelchair close by, so I knew she couldn't be going too far, and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask her. The ensuing conversation was one of the more interesting of my entire life, but I've gone on much too long in this post and can only include a few highlights from the short biography/summary I wrote last night:
"Before the age of twenty, she had been married to a young man whom she preferred not to talk about. Without pushing too much, all I could learn is that she had been separated at twenty years old (she is now fifty) with a tiny baby boy. For those thirty years, she had mostly lived in the same house I found her in, going to town every day to sell snacks (botana) and make other kinds of food...
"Two years ago, however, Gloria’s work in the city
was suddenly cut short. She started to have a serious pain in her lower left
leg, and when it became unbearable she decided to visit the doctor. He told her
that her leg was infected beyond recovery, and that they would have to amputate
her leg from the knee down. She was stunned, and adamant that some other
solution could be found. Finally, at the fifth hospital they visited, a doctor
said that they could try amputating two toes and cutting out an entire section
of the muscle in her leg to see if they could contain the infection... Despite the trials of the last two years, and
really the last thirty if her subtle hints were any indication, she still
managed to find things to anticipate..."
(If you're interested in learning more about Gloria, I posted the whole article on scribd.com -- here's the link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/96222828/Gloria-Azcatl-Clatlipachito?secret_password=2fzmctkmaotjiw6u8x2y)
Finally, with invitations to Thursday's fiesta in the town and a real rainstorm coming in the distance, I snapped these two pictures with Miguel and Gloria and dashed off to catch the bus home!
| Gloria A |
| Miguel Tiro -- I'll have to get a better picture next time I go. |
Right before I turned the corner to our house I looked west towards the sunset, the country from which I had come just hours before, and was stunned by its beauty. For the first time all day the majestic smoking Popocateptl was visible, along with its sister to the north, with the sun was just approaching their peaks, and it wrapped up the day so beautifully. The haze was lifting, just a little more, on my view of the Mexican people and their roots. They are beautifully simple, incredibly complicated, and once they let you into their lives you are there to stay. I am so grateful to be here. I leave you with the picture I took at that moment...
This is a stunning photo, Abe! What a summer to remember. Surely those locals you've met will long remember your smile and eagerness. I love how you appreciate absolutely everything.
ReplyDelete